Tuesday 6 December 2016

Makey Makey

Makey Makey is magic. It's a simple micro controller that allows you to make any kind of conductive object or material interactive, as long as it is connected to your PC. A Makey Makey kit costs around 55,- and comes standard with alligator clips to connect your Makey Makey set with objects such as bananas, play dough, anything that is conductive. After I introduced it in our Coding/Maker workshop, the students all wanted to get their hands on it, so today I ran into the biggest Conrad shop and of Berlin-Schöneberg and asked whether they sold Makey Makey kits in the store - as I saw they sell them online. "Wie bitte?!" The lady behind the information booth looked as if I asked her something entirely inappropriate. "Was ist das?" she demanded. I was in a hurry and not sure whether I could explain what this micro controller does, so I asked her whether she could just check her computer - the answer was no. I should ask inside. After two salespeople re-directed me to someone else, I talked to what should have been the top expert. A tall guy, missing a front tooth and proudly wearing a button that said 'tekkie', looked at me with a confused look on his face - my question irritated him. He was sure that I mentioned the wrong name. In the end he googled it and told me he could order it online. No thanks, I can actually do that myself... So Makey Makey is not yet known to the Conrad Tekkies, but my students love it and have started creating interactive room-mazes, Scratch games controlled by bananas and interactive posters for my younger students. I just got a roll of copper wire for further projects, and to be honest, I can't wait! Check the video here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

21st Century Learning

My photo
Teacher, trainer, Head of IT, mum of three online teens, into social networks, open educational resources and visual learning. Head in the Global Cloud and feet in the Dutch clay.